Wednesday, September 5, 2012

First of all, thank you so much for including my neighbor, Bill in your prayers.  I spoke to his sons today, who looked like this is taking a huge emotional toll, and said that he had gone through the chemo today.  I shared with them that a lot of people are praying for him between my church, this blog and some mutual friends.  They said that it really means so much to them.  I mentioned that he is one of my favorite people to talk to (I like to chat a bit, myself...) and I really enjoy chatting over the fence with him.   They said he hasn't stopped talking at the hospital either.  I can picture it.  He is a character and loves to tell his stories.  

I was cleaning out the fridge the other day and had some interesting odds and ends like half a pork chop and half a steak.  After seeing those commercials on television about how much food Americans waste per year, the guilt set in. It is really not acceptable for me to do that.  I have made a deal with myself that I will no longer throw out any food. I will keep better track of what is in there and use it up. So I made an awesome black bean chili out of them and other ingredients in search of a pot.  Oh my goodness, it was so good.  Sadly, this is a once in a lifetime recipe because I will never be able to repeat it based on the stuff I was pulling out of the fridge.  

So now I am better at taking inventory of what is in there.  I also have a freezer full of stuff and I have made another promise to myself that I am going to use everything in it before it gets freezer burn.  So I will not be buying any meat for quite a while.  I buy it on those clearance sales at Safeway and I am fully stocked to the point where I can barely close the freezer door.  

The best part of this is that I have decided to not buy any more processed foods and start making things from scratch again.  I have a bread maker that I never use, and I seem to recall that a homemade cookie tastes much better than a store bought one.  Plus if I plan well it should not take very much time.  I am kind of excited about this endeavor.  I will let you know how it goes.  (Oh, and I will confess that I do have a small stash of Hamburger Helper and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.  Can't help it, I love the stuff. )

I was also thinking this applies to my craft stash.  I have a drawer full of beads and bead strands that have bought over the years.  Some of them are even semi precious stone beads and pearls.  I buy them because they are pretty and I  have good intentions.  My son says that I am like a raccoon and attracted to shiny objects.  LOL  I also have all of the findings, wire, thread, etc.  I think it is time for me to make some really pretty gifts for my homegirls. 

Well, it is off to sleep.  I am hearing snores from the doggie bed next to me so I will take this as a sign for me to go to sleep, too.


No comments: