Saturday, December 22, 2012

Baking Day


I was a baking fool today.  I got up and put my marshmallows together first thing since they have to sit for several hours.  You have to whip them for 12 minutes after you cook the sugar and corn syrup.  My KitchenAid was working overtime today.

I got to make my thumbprint cookies, which actually look much cuter than they do in the photo.  They are very buttery and decadent.  They are labor intensive, which is why I only make them once a year.  I also made a lot of snickerdoodles.  I like snickerdoodles because they are just happy little cookies.

Tomorrow I have to make my iced Christmas cookies.  I think that will probably do it as far as cookies go.  I spent so much time in the kitchen today that my heels are killing me.  I also had to scrub down the kitchen tonight because it just felt like there was a layer of sugar on every surface in the kitchen.

I am happy to say that I also got the gifts wrapped today.  It was a very productive day.  It did rain for the earlier part of the day.  Just like in life the rain gave way to the clouds parting and the sun shining through.  It was nice to get the things on my list checked off.  I feel like I can be totally present and in the moment in the worship services and during the festivities over the next three days.  

After I wrapped the gifts I had to hide them from Liesl.  I usually wrap her gifts, too, so she got a bit excited at the sight of the ribbons.  Santa has a gift all ready for her.   She is such a good little dog so she ended up on the "Nice" list although she has more fun on the naughty list.  I think I will go tuck her in and tell her that she is a good girl.

No comments: