Sunday, June 2, 2019

A Busy Weekend Around The Cozy Cottage

I am so grateful for all of the kind comments.  I wish I could adequately communicate how much your sweet comments mean to me.  They have given me so much peace and comfort.  Thank you for your prayers and good thoughts.

The weekend I have been working on my backyard.  It has been severely neglected and I have had to battle the weeds, which had been thriving with all of the California rain this year.  I had to mow, throw down some grass seed, clear the raised bed of weeds which were three feet tall and make a list of chores which need to be completed over the next few weeks.  I also got some of my herbs planted.  I am doing the Frankenstein walk and my body is talking to me, but it makes me happy and I would really like to have my yard looking good for a family barbecue on the fourth of July.

I have an Aerogarden that I use to start my seeds.  I bought the attachment which allows me to start 65 plants at a time, so I have to do some planning of my seed rotation.  One of the other managers at work and I love to grow heirloom tomatoes. We start talking seeds in December and she starts her seeds under a grow light in February and moves them into a portable green house.  My busy season at work is for the first 4-5 months of the year so I am usually late to the party.  This year I got my Aerogarden ready in early April, ready to plug in but I realized I could not find my seeds.  I go painstakingly through the Baker Street Seeds and Park Seed catalogs every year, selecting the ones which interest me and have high ratings.  I tore my house apart for weeks. looking for them like they were missing gold.  I finally found them stashed in a cabinet and started them in the Aerogarden.  These are the ones I am really excited about:

https://www.rareseeds.com/brad-s-atomic-grape-tomato/

So the plants are getting pretty big.  The lemon cucumbers started to really take over and the tomatoes and Swiss Chard were being really dramatic about it, looking like they were fainting.  So the lemon cucumbers were moved to the raised bed which has fresh soil and everything.  I am super excited!

I also got to stitch a little on my Prairie Schooler patriotic smalls.  These are really fun to stitch and the colors really pop!  I would really like to stitch all of the designs in the brochure, and put them on my table.

All of the crafters at work are super excited because we are getting a Hobby Lobby in Salinas.  It has taken them a long time and it has seemed like the project stalled for a long time, but one of my coworkers has done some recon and says that it looks like they are moving ahead.  We are all pretty excited.  We have a Michaels and JoAnn's, but we are really excited about the great sales at Hobby Lobby!

Wishing you many blessings in the week ahead!



4 comments:

Marilyn said...

A Aerogarden sounds like a great idea.
Those tomatoes are awesome!
Have fun with your garden, and have a great week!
Marilyn

Bluebird said...

It was so nice to see your update. It sounds like you had a busy but happy week-end at home and working on your garden - everything you've planted sounds great! Your patriotic stitching is so pretty, it will be fun to have a group of them to display together. Good luck as you begin your class and I hope you have a wonderful week!
Mary

Robin in Virginia said...

Your PS stitches are looking good. It sounds like you had a productive time out in your yard. Enjoy the week!

Linda K's Stitching Corner said...

I love Gardens...sounds like you have a beautiful Garden. My Dad always had a Huge Garden every Summer and we got all of the Vegies that we wanted from his Garden.

I love your WIPS...they are so pretty...so Patriotic as well too....

Take care - Have A Beautiful Day - Weekend...

Happy Stitching
Linda K, Buttercup