Monday, June 20, 2022

Again, With Good News

 So, about a month after my sweet little Felix was born, I finally graduated!  I had been taking a class or two here and there for a few years, while I was getting some other professional credentials.  The summer following Liesl's passing, I was still struggling with grief, so I decided that I needed to fill the void and started to go to school full time while working full time.  I really stepped it up in 2020 during COVID, since we were all under stay-at-home orders in my county in California.  It actually worked out well, because all of the in-person classes I had to take were suddenly online only so I did them all in one semester.  

It all worked out well, because I graduated with four degrees, Accounting, Business Administration and two others.  I am toying with the idea of getting an additional degree in Economics, but it entails a requirement of taking Calculus.  Eww.   I am grateful that I have my education.  It took a lot of work and sacrifice, but I feel like I really grew as a person and I am happy that I had exposure to subjects that were required that I would not have selected otherwise.  I wasn't going to walk in the graduation ceremony, but my daughter talked me into it, and my best friend said that we need the photo to serve as an inspiration for little Felix.  It was a special ceremony and I am glad I did after all.  

I actually got to focus on my studies in May because I got laid off from my job due to budgetary reasons at the end of April, right after I returned from Texas.  Fortunately, a recruiter contacted me a few days afterwards.  He had a placement for me and the week after graduation I started at my dream job.  I work as a corporate accountant, but I do highly specialized accounting.  Fortunately, I am able to work remotely.  So I get to work from my home office now, for a great organization, doing work that I really enjoy.  I am enjoying it so far.  I like working from home because I get to really focus on the work that I am doing and I think I am far more efficient.  The meetings I attend are also efficient and focused without any distractions.  Plus, all the snacks that I love are in my breakroom/kitchen.

So I am adjusting to life after graduation and rediscovering my hobbies.  It feels weird to not be going a million miles a minute, but I usually stay busy with my hobbies and interests anyway.  I am reading books for fun again.  I am also cross stitching again.  I am currently working on the Prairie Schooler Santa's.  These have really grown on me and I am thinking that they will look awesome on my bedroom Christmas tree.  Here is what I have so far:

These are really a fun stitch.  I am happy that Prairie Schooler has re-released many of the designs.  Hopefully, I will have a lot finished before December.  

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Congrats on all your achievements & degrees!
Marilyn

Ann said...

So delighted to see your blog again! Congratulations on the grand baby, the degrees, and the new job!

Robin in Virginia said...

Your PS Santas are darling. They are quite addictive to stitch. Congratulations to you on your new degrees and your dream job!