Thursday, June 23, 2022

 It has been so hot on the California Coast for the past few days, in the 80s.  While I understand that it is much hotter in other places, what sets us apart is that most of the houses here do not have any air conditioning.  The ocean is our natural air conditioner, and for the most part it is foggy and freezing in San Francisco down to the Monterey Peninsula during June and July.  They are our "June gloom" months.  I have spent a number of 4th of July's with the heater on.  

The air was stifling the past couple of days.  This evening around 5pm, I went to run an errand 5 minutes away.  I left the house and it was sunny and hot by the time I got to my destination it was cold, windy and foggy.  Such is life on the California coast.  Now the news is saying to expect dry thunderstorms.  

I was so happy that a few weeks ago I installed a new ceiling fan all by myself in my home office/craft room.  In fact, that room has been the center of cleaning activity for the past month.  I have re-organized, discarded old papers, and changed around the furniture.  It is so much better in there now.  Purging the paper was liberating.

My desk in that room is used exclusively for work now.  I have monitors and things I need for work on my desk, so no room for crafting.  So I did a lot of thinking about a workspace on the other side of the room.   I really wanted to get something that I could use glue and paint on without it getting ruined.  So I bought an industrial stainless steel table with wheels for $169 on Amazon.  This one is 2x3 feet.  The wheels make it really tall, but I bought a drafting chair for when I am working at it.  

I have an Olfa mat on it with my Australian wool ironing mat. Right now it has six of the 12x12 project boxes from Michaels on the shelf.  They fit perfectly.  I even have room for more.  Yay.

I still have to hang the picture over it.  I love this print which I bought at a thrift store in Pacific Grove.  The original is painted by Sally Caldwell Fisher who paints scenes of life in New England and cost significantly more than my print here.

What I love about this set up is that I can use the chair at my kitchen counters when I do my holiday cooking so my feet don't get tired.  I can also wheel the table out to the kitchen for holiday cookie baking.

I am happy that it is Friday Eve.  I am going to stitch and read my book.  I just loaded a bunch of books from the library on my Kindle.  I am so excited. 



2 comments:

Marilyn said...

I hope it cools down for you soon.
We had some very hot weather early here in WI.
Your space looks nice.
Marilyn

Robin in Virginia said...

What a great setup for crafting! I would love more information about your table. Have a wonderful weekend!