Sunday, July 15, 2018

Catching Up...

The journey of our lives take twists and turns through bright, happy places and gray, sad places.  Hopefully, both bring us to a place of peace, and help us to evolve throughout the years and help us to gain greater wisdom and insight.  Unfortunately, my own journey had to progress down a sadder path recently as my mother lost her 3 1/2 year battle with breast cancer late at night on June 20th.  The past few months she was in a tremendous amount of pain, and gratefully, she passed peacefully in her sleep.  I am grateful that she is not suffering anymore.  Her passing was quite a bit sooner than we had estimated (there was a six month window), but as my sister says, "None of us has an expiration date on us."  My mother was an intensely private person, which is why I had not shared it up to this point.  I still need to honor her privacy, even after her passing, so please forgive me for not sharing more about her or her battle with this horrible disease.  It is as she would have wanted it.

I work for a really amazing employer and have a terrific boss.  While I already had some vacation time scheduled for the week of the 4th of July, my supervisor supported my taking additional time for me to process everything and get some rest.  So I ended up taking about 10 days off and we headed up to the very peaceful Redwood Coast of California, up in the Sonoma-Mendocino area, one of my favorite places.  There are about 40 miles of bluff trail there above the crashing surf, so I was able to take lots of walks with Liesl, eat some healthy food (and some unhealthy food), sleep and be peaceful.  It was extremely helpful, and I am glad that I had the opportunity to step away from life to regroup.

The house that we rented, right near the ocean, had beautiful water vistas, observable from a gorgeous window seat.
As you can see, I had everything assembled for a quiet afternoon: Liesl, floss storage box, books, magazines, stitchy project, ipad, pillows for napping and additional projects in the bag.  As I get older, I pack fewer clothes and more art supplies.  The benefit of renting a house is that there is generally a washer and dryer, so I can do laundry as needed.  So I spent a few afternoons, on my perch here, stitching and looking at the ocean.  Usually, if we are travelling, I can read a book a day.  This time my head was not clear enough to read, so I stitched a bit more, so that my mind could wander through its thoughts.


I did end up starting and finishing Little House Needlework's "Home Sweet Home".  It is a smaller project and was actually an easy stitch. Please pardon the wrinklies. I splurged on the designer's called for colors.  I used Priscilla Barnes' method of outlining the flower centers and petals first and then going around in a circle to fill in.  I do like how it turned out and I am thinking of how I would like to finish it.

Over the past few months I have made a number of stash purchases.  I am feeling a little guilty about that.  However, I have to say that I am particularly happy with the fact that I finally have my "unicorn" chart.  Several years ago, when Mirabilia made the announcement that certain charts would no longer be available, I passed on the opportunity to buy Seaside Kingdom.  I live near the Pacific Ocean and have always loved this chart. I have regretted all of these years not buying it at that time. I said to myself that if another opportunity for me to purchase it arose, I would make sure to get it.  I had no intention of buying it at the prices on ebay.  While doing so is a matter of personal preference, it was not for me.  So, I was pretty happy when the re-release happened. 

There was a lot of excitement around the re-release.  I was travelling on business at the time of the release, so I figured if it is meant to happen, it would be.  I did not go searching all over and saw that a number of people were buying up multiple patterns, so I let it go.  However, the evening I returned from my business trip, I saw a post on 123 stitch that Cecelia's Sampler in Branson, Missouri, still had some non-LOTF patterns left.  I placed an order with them and I am happy to say that Seaside Kingdom is here and ready for me to stitch.  If only I could place an order for more time to stitch...

Lastly, little Miss Liesl is turning 11 in a few weeks.  (Of course there will be a celebration!)  She is her usual sparkly and sassy self, however, is starting to have a few health issues, like arthritis and her heart issue now requires medication.  In addition, she is having an ultrasound this week, so I have been praying and thinking positive thoughts.   If you wouldn't mind sending up a prayer or good thoughts and energy for her, I would really appreciate it.    She means the world to me.  :)

Hope you have a week full of wonder and magical things!

12 comments:

Marilyn said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Mother, my condolences.
Glad your boss understood and gave you more time off.
Your trip looks like the perfect place to relax and re-group.
Love that LH piece.
Sending positive thoughts for Liesl.
Marilyn

rosek1870 said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss. My mother passed away in 2010 from breast cancer. We were blessed that it was a reoccurrence and she passed very quickly. If you listen for your mother you will know she is still with you. She is with me every day and when my daughter was fighting oral cancer I could hear and feel her all the time. I will of course pray for Liesl. Pressing the tests come back ok.
Hugs
Rose

Terri Patillo said...

I am so very sorry that your Mom passed away. Grief is a journey we take alone -- no matter who is with us. Give yourself time and space and may you find comfort and peace in your memories.

Robin in Virginia said...

Patti, I am sorry about your Mom's passing. Will keep you and your pup in my thoughts and prayers about the upcoming ultrasound. Thinking of you!

Patti said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mother..I lost my mother and father in a span of 10 months recently so I know how difficult it is ((hugs)). I am glad that you were able to get away on your little vacation. I will say a prayer for little Liesl...I miss my sweet Reggie every day, he was only 9 when he passed :( schnauzers are so very special!

Christine said...

Since I have been perusing the VRBO listings this week for a possible trip to the coast, I recognize the beautiful Sea Ranch views. What a beautiful spot to think and reflect on your mom!

Patti said...

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you very much for your condolences. I really appreciate it.

I really appreciate the positive thoughts for Liesl.

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,
Patti

Patti said...

Hi Rose,

Thank you very much for your very kind words. I am so sorry that you had to suffer the same loss. It is a horrible disease. I pray that a cure is found soon so no one else has to suffer.

Thank you for thinking positive thoughts for my little furgirl.

Patti

Patti said...

Hi Terri,

Thank you very much for your gentle, comforting words. I really appreciate them.

Sincerely,
Patti

Patti said...

Robin,

Thank you very much for the comfort of your words. I really appreciate them and you thinking good thoughts for my little furry soul sister.

Patti

Patti said...

Christine,

I definitely recommend a trip to the Sea Ranch and Gualala area. It is my happy place. I can highly recommend Beach Rentals for rentals up there. The ladies there are great.

If you go, do try breakfast at Trinks and the clam chowder at St. Orres.

Patti

Patti said...

Oh, my goodness, Patti!

It was great to hear from you. I have thought about you and Reggie so many times over the years. You and I were emailing each other around the time of his diagnosis and I remember how worried you were. He was such a beautiful boy. I remember that he was your profile photo for a long time. I am so sorry for your loss of Reggie and for the loss of your parents.

Sending hugs!
Patti