Saturday, September 8, 2012

Saturday


I did not have an opportunity earlier this week to share this photo of my finished piece with my ribbons.  The participant ribbon is a new thing for my county fair.  It is kinda psychedelic and groovy looking. It is nice to have my piece back home.  I found the perfect place to hang it in my living room.  

I received the sad news today that my friend and neighbor, Bill, went home to be with the Lord last evening.  I felt honored that one of his adult children took the time from their own grief to come and share the news with me.  I can not wrap my head around it yet.  I could not stitch or do anything today.  I just sort of sat and stared at television, although I do not know what was on.  I wept on and off all day.  Last week at this time he was at home with his dog.  From the time his hip started bothering him to his passing was only 2-3 weeks.  In a way, I believe that God was merciful and did not let him suffer.  I will miss my friend.  He was a truly good person.  I was lucky to know him.

I think the lesson for me in this is how life truly changes in the blink of an eye.  Nothing is guaranteed in this life.  I think I am relearning that lesson about how precious and fragile it all is.  We have a finite amount of time on this earth and we have to treasure every second.  I feel so grateful for the people and everything in my life and realize that any of it could change at any given moment.  I have hugged my furgirl a little tighter today and kissed her sweet little head more than she probably felt was necessary.  (Although she does love kisses.)  

We are so blessed in this life to have what we have.  We are blessed with the people we know.  We are lucky to give and receive love.  Mostly, we are fortunate to be loved by God more than we can ever possibly understand.  

5 comments:

Grit said...

This is so beautiful.
Great work.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Ruth said...

Congratulations Patti, you deserved the ribbons you won. Your work is awesome - you have worked very hard and have done a beautiful job. Am very proud for you.
So sorry about Bill, but am glad his suffering is over. He has been a wonderful friend.
Ruth

Karen said...

Congratulations! That is such a beautiful piece. I looked forward to your updates when you were working on it.

valerie said...

So sorry to hear about your friend Bill. I am glad he did not have to suffer long with his illness and am sure he was happy and lucky to have a friend in you. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Hello there, I found your blog via Google at the same time as looking for a related topic, your website came up, it appears great. I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.