Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Semi Normal Day

It was kind of nice to be back in the normal routine today.  I had felt so numb all weekend, that I basically wrapped myself up in a quilt most of the time.  I did not sleep well last night and was a little weepy early in the morning.  After work got into full swing though, I seemed to be feeling much better.  I have a really good friend at work who sent me a nice note.  I am so grateful for all of my friends who just seem to know what to say at just the right time.  

I was thinking today how much I would like for life to be boring for a while.  At the very least it was a good day.  I got a lot of work done, shared bites of my lunch with Liesl, and listened to a book on my Ipod at lunchtime.  After work I got home and got to chat for a while with my neighbor while our dogs played.  I came in, changed into sweats, started dinner, and took a nap.  It was awesome.  I made my new favorite dinner which is so incredibly quick and awesome that I actually make it twice a week sometimes.  http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/03/ginger-steak-salad/  It made me so happy.  After dinner, I wrestled with Liesl and her bunny then gave her belly rubs.  Liesl is kind of funny when you rub her belly because sometimes she sort of goes into a trance.  Other times, she is super wiggly and bites at the air.  Tonight she was just so happy.  

I was so happy to have an ordinary evening.  I even got to stitch for a few minutes.  Now I am under all of my blankets with an extra one on the bed because it is a bit chilly.  Liesl is tucked in.  She has a particular way that she likes to be tucked in.  She likes to have the blanket prop up her chin like a pillow.  The rest of the blanket is used to just tuck in her little puppy legs.  She is particular.  And if you do it wrong, she gets up and walks out of the room.  Schnauzers...

2 comments:

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

So sorry about father Patti. I know Liesl is there to help you through this time. Pets seems to sense these things... Prayers going out to you..

Laura said...

Hi Patti,

I just want you and your family to know you are in my thoughts and prayers - my sister and I walked in very similar shoes a few years ago - so I do understand...I think you are handling it very admirably under the circumstances -

I read this the other day and it struck a cord with me - and I think I know why and I would like to share it with you, if you don't mind....

As a general principle, if we would exercise our memories more wisely, we might, in our very darkest distress, strike a match that would instantaneously kindle the lamp of comfort. There is no need for God to create a new thing upon the earth in order to restore believers' joy; if they would prayerfully rake the ashes of the past, they would find light for the present; and if they would turn to the book of truth and the throne of grace, their candle would soon shine as before.

Let us then remember the loving-kindness of the Lord and rehearse His deeds of grace. Let us open the volume of recollection, which is so richly illuminated with memories of His mercy, and we will soon be happy. Thus memory may be, as Coleridge calls it, "the bosom-spring of joy," and when the Divine Comforter bends it to His service, it is then the greatest earthly comfort we can know.

Sounds like you've been doing that.

God bless,

Laura
(laurawa from 123stitch)