Sunday, March 17, 2013

Another Good Day

Okay, confession time.  I am not sure that I have ever shared this, but I almost always have music playing in my head.  I love classical music, with a passion.   I always have loved it since I was a child.  I love how a piece can have so much going on in it and that it evokes such emotion.  There is a reason it is so timeless and is popular in some cases a couple hundred of years after it is composed. Today I had a performance with a choir that I sing with.  I have been singing with the same very talented people for about nine years, with the small exception of a small break that I took when I bought my house.  Today we performed Mendelssohn's Elijah.  It is such a beautiful piece and there are parts of it that just make me well up with tears.  It was a beautiful performance and we even received a standing ovation from the audience at the end. Everyone should have the opportunity to experience receiving a standing ovation.  It is a beautiful thing.  The choir even got extra cheers.  

I was really worried that after a couple of months of working on the piece that I was not going to be able to perform today.  I am still recovering from that nasty flu that I had a couple of weeks ago.  Yesterday was the first day that I had my voice back, although I had an ugly cough.  I had gone to a rehearsal earlier in the week, and I had no voice.  Today, I still had the ugly cough and was concerned that I would not be able to go on stage.  My peeps already had tickets to the performance and I did not want to let anyone down.  

I have learned as a person of faith that I do not have to walk through this life alone and I may ask for His help.  So on the drive, I asked for His help today, and that He would remove my cough.  Almost immediately I felt my chest clear.  I got to the theater and did not cough.  I made it through a warm up, rehearsal and performing both acts.  I did not cough again until I was gathering up my stuff to go home.  One of the other altos said, "Oh, my gosh, that cough sounds terrible."  I definitely had divine help today and I am thankful for it.  It is truly a blessing to be a part of such beautiful music.

As usual, the best part of my day was coming home to my Liesl.  Usually after a performance there is a big party.  I had planned on coming home anyway to get myself ready for the work week.  It was funny that while I was walking to my car, I kept running into other choir members and asked if they were on their way to the party.  Most of them said no, that they really needed to get home to their dog.  It was nice to know that I am not the only silly person that can't wait to go home and see their dog.  Liesl was happy to see me, and super happy when I got her hairbrush out.  She loves being brushed and then having her mini massage.  

So I am ready for the work week.  I am looking forward to all that I have to do at my office this week.  I really like getting dressed up in a suit for work, so I have my outfit all picked out.  

So I am super thankful tonight for mini miracles, for beautiful music, for a loving little dog, for  a cheeseburger and milkshake on my way home, for my friends, my family and a life that continues to unfold magically before me.  I love this journey.

No comments: