Sunday, November 17, 2013

On My Soapbox

I have to say, I am a very lucky girl.  My sweetheart is an extremely romantic man, and does a lot of really romantic things as a habit.  One thing that he does is that he insists on taking me out for a very fancy romantic dinner once a week.  He often makes a reservation for sunset so we can watch the sun set over the Pacific Ocean while we have supper.  This weekend he took me to a lovely candlelight dinner, which had amazing service and incredible food.  It was a beautiful evening that started with us having a glass of champagne and ended with us sharing a beautiful dessert.

What made me sad was that a beautiful young couple were seated at the table next to us.  I think they were married and obviously had some wealth, as she had a huge ring on.  They were beautifully dressed.  Here is the sad part.  She was texting someone else throughout the entire dinner.  They barely spoke to one another.  He looked a bit sad and ignored and just sort of swiveled his wineglass around and around.  It was sad to watch.

I have a couple of thoughts on this.  The first is, that I think that cell phones are breaking down a lot of interpersonal relationships.  I see a lot of people on the phone with other people instead of being present with the person they are with.  Now I will text (generally back and forth with my honey or my kids) but the phone never comes out when I am having a meal or conversation with someone.  I just think it is rude.  Recently we were out and a family was having dinner at a nearby table.  The parents were playing games on their phones and the kids were totally ignored.

Secondly, I do not understand why people throw away love.  Here was a couple that obviously cared about each other and here was one taking it all for granted, particularly in such a romantic restaurant.  I do not understand treating someone else carelessly and with a lack of respect.  I just think one should absolutely treasure the person one chooses as a partner.  

I feel pretty fortunate to be with the person that I am with.  It is unimaginable to me to not look at that handsome face throughout dinner.  I am grateful that God has brought love and such an amazing person into my life.  I can not imagine texting anyone else through a dinner I am having with him.  I just can't.

Love one another.

3 comments:

Miss LindaLee said...

Hi Patti~I can't agree with you more. I have seen so many couples of all ages doing the same exact thing. Out to dinner, lunch or breakfast together but not paying any attention to each other. I've often mentioned it to my own dear hubby how I just can't imagine being so rude. I turn my phone right off just like yourself when we're out together.
Something else I dislike are the "call coming in" beeps. If I call someone and another call is coming in while I'm talking, I ignore it. It would be like telling the person I called to wait because I have a more important call to answer. I have been called and then asked to hang on while they get another call. I just tell them to call me back when they aren't so busy.

Miss LindaLee said...

I totally agree with you. People pay no attention to who they're with when they're out anymore it seems. Rude for sure.

People are going to forget how to talk face to face I think. Between online chats and texting, they don't even have to see the person they're "talking with". So very sad.

Julianne said...

Yes, it is very, very sad. Kids are doing when they are at family dinners. Parents do it when they are with their kids. It needs to stop! It hurts to be ignored! It sends the message " you are not important to me".

People just don't think enough about how what they do and do not do affects others.