Thursday, May 21, 2009

Oy Vey!

With apologies to my little Liesl, I am dog-tired. I had only had about 5 hours of sleep the night before last night because a certain furry person, decided to party all night. It was not entirely her fault. This is still a new house to her and with spring comes a whole new set of night noises which make her curious. Then last night I only got about 4-5 hours because we knew we had to be up really early so that DH would make an important appointment. When you are afraid to oversleep, you end up waking up constantly. Even Liesl was dragging today.

I had every intention of stitching tonight. I had my bag next to me and everything, ready to roll. Here is where it all went so wrong. 123stitch had posted their new patterns and there was a lovely Permin sampler. This sent me off on a tangent of wanting to look at all things Permin and all things samplers. I have actually stitched the Permin Musee Celle 1826. I have a funny story to tell about that later...Anyway, it seems that due to my sleepingess, I ended up looking at pretty stitchy things, not actually stitching. It was kind of therapeutic.

Okay, here is my Permin sampler story. It is actually pictured to the right on my sideboard. I stitched this piece about 4 years ago. Back then, I knew nothing about planning a project and making sure I had enough floss and stuff. I had this grand idea that I was going to stitch this piece using black Gloriana silk floss instead of DMC floss. I ordered two skeins at $6.5o each. It became quickly apparent that two skeins would not be enough. So I went to Wyndham Needleworks and ordered two 40 foot hanks at something like thirty dollars each. Um, yeah, still way not enough. By this time, I was so invested in the piece, that I had to finish. I kept ordering skeins until I was done. In the end, it cost me about $150 in floss over a span of a year. Ouch. I learned a major lesson. In hindsight, DMC would have been fine.

Well, I am off to dreamland. Have a great evening.

No comments: