Friday, May 10, 2013

Frosty Friday!

Oh my goodness, it is freezing here.  Okay, not freezing, but pretty darn cold.  It was even cold enough for Liesl to decide in the middle of the night that she needed snuggles.  It has made for a cozy evening, but I have had to put on the heat and everything.  

I was happy to come home tonight.  It was already pretty cold, so I put on my warmest sweatshirt and my sneakers so that we could head to a local lake for a walk.  Liesl was pretty excited.  We got to take a nice, brisk walk.  Liesl, in true miniature schnauzer, fashion was going to try to bite off more than she could chew.  She spotted two geese on the path and quickened her pace.  Lucky for her she was on a leash.  The geese here are large and they are mean.  I am scared of them.  Last week, one hissed at us as we walked by.  Luckily, there were many other things holding her interest.  

Once we got home, I cozied into the sofa.  I got out my stitching and got some done on my Lady of the Thread.  It felt really good to have and evening of stitching and watching design shows on TV.  I am looking forward to sleeping in and cuddling my furgirl this weekend.  In addition to taking Liesl for some good walks, I need to putter around the house.  The cozy cottage is looking quite untidy.  

I heard somewhere tonight that more copies of The Great Gatsby were sold last week than were sold in F. Scott Fitzgerald's lifetime.  As someone who loves classic literature, I am thrilled that folks are reading this book.  It is my hope that it will open the door to other people falling in love with classic books.  It is interesting because I think the door gets opened when high school students have to read these books.  However, when I read A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations a couple of years ago, I realized that I needed some life experience in order to "get" these books.  I felt tortured by them in high school.  I had to have life's scars and bruises to understand on a deeper level.

So I am grateful to those who bring classic literature to the forefront of popular culture.  While I will also think of Robert Redford as Gatsby, I am so glad that more generations will be exposed to this treasure, hopefully as a book. Hopefully, this will lead to reading The Grapes of Wrath, To Kill A Mockingbird, or A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.  So many great books, so many great authors, so little time...


No comments: