Thursday, May 23, 2013

Thursday

I slept crazy hard last night.  I think it was the first decent night of sleep I had in weeks.  It was such an emotional day.  I am wondering how long it will take for me to stop being so hyper vigilant with Liesl and just enjoy being with her sweet self.  The doctor had said yesterday to keep an eye on her for some symptoms, which may or may not ever present themselves. Tonight she was a little excited about something, and I immediately started watching her closely, thinking, "Has she ever sounded like that before?"  If she barks, I am afraid she is overexerting herself.  I am still a bit of a wreck.  Hopefully, over time, I will be able to calm down for a bit.

I had another bit of an scary moment yesterday.  After I got Liesl all settled, I had to go into work in the afternoon.  The little highway that I have to take to work has two lanes going each way and a shoulder in each direction.  Yesterday, as I got on the highway, I was in the left lane, when all of the sudden a car made a u-turn from the shoulder going in my direction, crossed over the right lane and right in front of me and my lane to make his u-turn to go in the opposite direction.  I slammed on my brakes and was within less than 5 feet of broadsiding him.  He turned to look at the oncoming traffic.  He was a young guy and was laughing.  I looked in my rear view mirror at the traffic that was behind me.  Had I broadsided him, I undoubtedly would have been pancaked by the cars behind.  He could have killed me and several others, or seriously injured us, and here he was laughing.  It struck me as pure evil.  My hands shook all the way to work.  I am still upset.  After spending a morning scared out of my mind, having this happen just sort of overdid it for me.  

So I am especially grateful today.  Life has changed in the blink of an eye for those in Oklahoma this week.  
We have all had something sudden happen that drastically changes everything for us quickly.  We feel for the suffering that they are going through.  At the same time, it is a reminder to be grateful for every single thing that we have right now. I am grateful for all of the love in my life.  I am grateful that I made it to and from work safely today.  I am grateful that my home stands, keeping Liesl safe, and welcoming me back at the end of the day.  I am grateful for a little bright eyed, sassy, sweet and funny little dog, who gives me kisses and attitude most days.

I am so looking forward to the three day weekend.  I had planned on it being a D-I-Y, work on the house weekend, but I think it will end up being a restful weekend full of good books, walks with Liesl, some craft projects lots of puppy snuggles.    It is supposed to be cold here and may even rain on Monday, so it is kind of a good weekend to be cozy.  I think Liesl and I both need some rest.  

No comments: