Monday, October 29, 2012

Good Thoughts for the East Coast

Our good thoughts and prayers are with those in the path of Hurricane Sandy.  Hoping that you and yours stay safe and dry.  The news photos and video that we are seeing on the West Coast are so overwhelming.  The winds look inconceivable and it just looks like water is everywhere.  We all just hope that everyone is safe.

This situation is a big reminder for me to update my emergency water supply in my garage.  The rule of thumb is enough for all members of the family for seven days.  I make sure that there is a gallon for Liesl and me for seven days.  I make sure that I have a few extra gallons so that I will be able to brush my teeth, wash my face, etc. I also make sure that I have plenty of dog food in reserve in addition to some canned items on hand for me.  I also make sure that I have my first aid kit stocked with what I need in emergency.  I also make sure that I have baby aspirin, benadryl, etc. on hand for Liesl.  Hopefully, I will never have to use any of this stuff.  

One thing that I learned at an emergency preparedness class a few years ago is that while it may not be possible to get a cell phone call through in an emergency, you can probably still get a text message through as a way to communicate.  Text messages use a different system than the cell towers.  I would not have thought of this, but am really glad to know this.  They also said in this class that in the event of a disaster that emergency personnel will be limited and will be assisting those who are in the greatest emergency need.  Therefore, you will have to be self sufficient and be ready to do so for several days, if necessary.  This was unsettling to hear at first, but I am glad to know it in advance.  I really learned how important it is to be prepared.  

So I will be buying some new water at the grocery store this week, and making sure that the flashlights are where they are supposed to be.  I think I will also give Liesl an extra hug and kiss tonight.  I will count my blessings again tonight.  Most of all, I will be saying a prayer asking for the protection of people, animals and homes on those in the path of the hurricane.  Be safe and know that there are people all over the world praying for you tonight.



No comments: