Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Shrove Tuesday

This is my favorite time of year.  I really love the introspective time of Lent.  This has always been a special time for me.  Today was Shrove Tuesday (or Mardi Gras) so we had a traditional pancake and sausage dinner at church.  It was pretty fun and there was lots of yummy food.  I also learned something that I did not know before.  Carnival is actually Latin for "good-bye to meat."  (Carne valle.)  It all makes sense now.  

I came home after all of the pancake partying to the best dog in the whole world so that we could watch Westminster.  Liesl was not impressed by the other dogs, fully knowing that if she was entered in this contest, she would be in the winner's circle.  I love the dog show.  The terriers are always so well received and cheered for, particularly if they decide to be naughty.  The comments that are made about life with a terrier are pretty funny.  Having one, I know just how strong willed they can be.  I also love the looks on their faces in the ring, like "Where are we going?!"  It makes me laugh and love my dog all the more.

The Purina commercials just make me weep during dog shows.  They really capture what it is like for people who really, really love our dogs.  It is a pretty awesome connection.  The Subaru commercials were making me laugh.  It is pretty smart to market a certain car brand to dog parents.  

After I played with my little furry beauty contestant, I decided to stitch.  During Lent I a working on a series of Chrismons for the church tree this Christmas.  So I worked on the first one.  Stitching with metallic thread is not my favorite, but it makes the finished product look so pretty.  

Well, my carb loaded dinner is making me sleepy so I am off to dream of puppies...

No comments: