Sunday, April 7, 2013

Another Day Of Bliss

Liesl and I had another wonderful day.  I needed a little extra rest, so I missed church today.  I slept in until about 7:45 and woke up slowly.  Had a nice couple of cups of coffee then made some scrambled eggs for Liesl and me.  She even got a little extra cheese on hers for being such a good girl.  We had such a nice quiet morning.  

I watched part of the race, then saw that it was going to be 500 laps.  Not much happens until about Lap 200.  Plus it was sunny outside, so off I went to work on my front yard.  The front yard was starting to get a vacant lot look to it with all of the weeds, plus I had some demonic looking foxtails growing there.  Since they are super dangerous to dogs, I try to get them out as fast as possible.  I swear they grow about a foot and half over night.  

I do not like working in my front yard as much as the backyard.  My front yard has stinging nettles and much as I try to avoid them, they always get me.  They even creep up my pants' leg.  They smart like heck.  I got some of them out and planted my lavender plants that I bought this week at Home Depot, along with a couple of hydrangea bushes.  It was pretty fun, other than the nettles.  As soon as I finished up, the sun disappeared for the rest of the day, so I am glad that I took that time outside.

I puttered around the house the rest of the day, watched the rest of the race and stitched a bit.  I am working on a project that I had put away for while and I am remembering why.  I am wondering if this one will ever really be completed.

We had a near disaster last evening.  Around 10pm last night I took Liesl out for the last time of the evening.  I always do a check of the yard to make sure there are no critters that can hurt her.  I looked and there was nothing there.  So I let her out but left the door open while I went into the kitchen for some water.  Usually, I stay with her, but all was quiet.  Suddenly, I heard her making some really excited noises and running really fast on my gravel path, so I bolted outside. 

I live on a hill, so my neighbor's house sits above mine.  The total height between the retaining wall and fence is probably 10-12 feet.  Liesl was running for the fence.  That was when I saw the hugest raccoon ever on top of the fence, looking like it was going to jump down on Liesl.  I was beyond angry.  Raccoons can easily do damage to a dog, including killing them.  I ran up to that fence and using my best angry momma voice and shaking my finger at it, I said, "You GO AWAY!"  I had no stick, nothing to fend it off,  but it obviously understands an angry momma.  It hesitated for a moment, looked at me like I was nuts, them lumbered off along the fence.  Then I told Liesl sternly to go inside, whereupon I picked her up and thanked God that nothing awful had happened.  Thank goodness I heard her excitement before anything bad happened.  I am really overprotective of her, but I will be even more alert from now on.

2 comments:

Gloria said...

I must tell you that Liesl's near encounter with a raccoon struck fear in my heart. I am so glad you were able to intervene. I love Liesl.

Patti said...

Thank you, Gloria!

Liesl sends you big wags of the tail!

Patti