Monday, April 22, 2013

Marvelous Monday!

Today was a pretty good day.  I got a lot accomplished at work.  I am still settling in and getting to know everyone.  I have gone through an accounting cycle and like I am getting my rhythm in the job.  I am so grateful to have such a wonderful job.

I had such a wonderful weekend that as I was driving to work, I was thinking about what I could do during the week to have that same blissful feeling.  I was thinking that the most important thing is keeping positive things as much as possible during the day.  I was thinking about what negative things I have control over that I can remove.  

First and foremost, I have decided to take a news fast.  I usually have the news on from the time I get home at 5:30 until 7.  Usually I am doing other things while it is on, but many times I just crash on the sofa.  Our news is terrible, too.  The anchors tend to offer their opinions or snarky comments, which just adds to some of the yuckiness.  Plus the the news is just horrible.  I figure I can take ten minutes to just just peruse what is happening on a website.  I just tend not to feel very good after I watch the news.

So tonight I came home and did not turn on the television.   Instead I put on my gardening clothes and went outside while the dinner cooked.  I played with Liesl, watered the plants, cooked a healthy dinner, and did a little tidying up.  Instead of having the evening go by quickly, it has been a bit more leisurely and has felt a bit longer.  I figure if I can keep it up, I will gain 7 1/2 hours a week.  Maybe as the weather gets really warm, Liesl and I can get in a few mid week hikes.  That would be so awesome.  

Overall, I think it comes down to putting emphasis on the things that matter to me and removing the things that do not matter or are negative.  I think it creates a much more purposeful life.  I think it would also contribute to an even greater sense of gratitude.  

So tonight I am grateful for the extra hour and a half, and that I got to spend that time on things that matter to me.  Liesl got her belly rubs, a healthy home cooked dinner, and the ball thrown.  I got a kiss out of the blue.  Those are so awesome!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I am going to try this as well. I really had news fatigue last week. Glad your new job is going so well.