Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Fabulous February!

I forgot to wish everyone a happy February! February is my favorite month. Not only is there Valentine's Day, there is President's Day (a day off, whoohoo!) and my birthday. I have always thought of Valentine's Day as the gateway to my birthday on the 23rd. (I share a birthday with one of the greatest composers ever, G.F. Handel.)

I love the festive attitude on February. Everywhere you go there are heart decorations which are so bright and cheerful. I sort of miss getting lots of Valentines like we did as kids in school. There was a lot of fun and excitement in opening those little paper envelopes. You knew you were liked if you got a Mickey Mouse Valentine rather than a Pluto or Goofy one. I think the Valentine hierarchy was Mickey, Donald Duck, Minnie, Daisy Duck, Pluto, then Goofy. LOL

Several years ago I had a friend who had a great idea. She said that she had so much pressure on her at Christmas that she did not send Christmas cards. Instead, she sent Valentines. She said that people really appreciate getting a Valentine, plus they have time and energy to savor it. I have often thought this was a super idea and would love to be able to do the same. Perhaps I will go to Target or Hallmark this weekend and see what they have in those packs of 8 cards.

It has been a busy week, but I have managed to get a few stitches into my piece. I have the roses done on the top of the mirror and am now adding the greenery. The confetti stitching is a little aggravating, but there are plenty of places where there are large blocks of color so if I get really, really bored...All in all, I suppose it is going quickly but it is hard to tell when the colors are all spread out. I am thinking of putting her in an oval frame when I am done...

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I used to love getting Valentines too...

An oval frame would be great with that piece!