Sunday, August 14, 2011

My Hibiscus


Here are my pretty hibiscus, I just thought they were too beautiful not to share.

I tend to write about happy things on this blog. I have the same problems, frustrations and sadness as others. However, as a general rule, I do not believe that this is the proper place to talk about those things. I prefer this to be the place to talk about beauty, gratitude, and happy things. Generally, I feel pretty blessed and happy. Unfortunately, I have something sad going on right now.

I have a couple that have been friends for about 20 years. I have had the pleasure of working with both the husband and the wife at different times and they are such a joy. I have considered them part of my extended family for years. Sadly, he became very ill with a particularly bad form of cancer on June 26th and has been hospitalized ever since. He is in so much pain, that it is heartbreaking. His family has set up a web site so that we can all get daily updates on his condition. May God Bless Them for doing this. Unfortunately, his condition has been quickly disintegrating.

I went over to visit him today. I am hoping that it is not the case, but I fear that it was to say good-bye. I knew that it was best for him for me to hold it together and just keep a happy smile on my face. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve so this took every ounce of strength that I had. I am grateful though that I had the chance to tell him how important he is to me and how much I love him. I made it a couple of steps out of his door before I lost it and had a really good cry in my car. I have been weepy all day. I am truly a better person for having known him.

All of this serves as a reminder that life is so short and it changes in the blink of an eye. I think to myself that my friend had a perfectly normal day on June 25th before it all changed. So take the time to tell the people you care about how much you love them. Waste not your time that you have here. Love one another, take care of each other and don't waste your time disagreeing with each other and fighting over something that does not really matter. And if you could spare a prayer for my dear friend, I would sure appreciate it.

I am off to go hug my dog...

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

You've given good advice and your heart is definitely in the right place! Prayers are with you friend and family and you.