Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Walking In Gratitude

On Sunday of this week, our pastor issued a challenge in the form of a homework assignment. She told us to take a piece of paper, draw a line down the center of the page and on one side of the paper write what we are thankful for. On the other half we were to write down what our wants are. She said it would be interesting to see which side is longer. I immediately started thinking about where I would start. It would definitely be what I am thankful for. There is not a whole lot that I really want. God has blessed me with more than I ever dreamed of for myself. That is not to say that there are not things that I think would be nice to have, like say, a Kindle Fire. However, it is not really a want.

Last night at dinner my friend and I talked about all of the things that we are grateful for. We both love our jobs. However, we both said that bottom line we are grateful to have a job. Then that we have livable wage jobs. Then that we have jobs that we enjoy and feel passionate about. We talked about our families, our friends, and pets. It was interesting that it was not about "stuff." Nor could either of us think of anything that we would really want. (If I could want for other people, though, I would wish that there would be enough livable wage jobs to go around for everyone who wants one.)

I am realizing this week that I have more friends than I ever realized. I have had so many offers of help for my move. (What is they say about real friends help you move...) Several amazing people at work have made serious offers and have made sure that I have cell numbers and their schedule. (We run a seven day, around the clock operation.) I am a bit overwhelmed by the kindness and everyone's willingness to spend their well deserved days off helping me out. (All of my coworkers work really hard and long hours.) I am terrible about asking for help and it is so nice to have people let me know that they seriously would like to be there. It is a bit humbling. I am fortunate to know so many people with such huge hearts and generous spirits.

Today I was talking on the phone with a friend at lunchtime. She had the most spectacular idea for my first get together in my house. It was such a great small party idea and I got pretty excited about the idea of having my wonderful friends all together in my new house. I realize that I have so much to look forward to in my life. Great gatherings of family and friends. So if I were to fill in that side of the paper with the wants, it would be plenty of time ahead with those I hold so dear to me in times of joy and celebration. My wants are hugs, laughter, smiles and gentle words between all those around me. Of course, those wants include lots of puppy kisses and doggie snuggles on rainy Saturday afternoons. So much to be thankful for.

No comments: