Friday, February 25, 2011

Vacation Winding Down...

Well, we got the first part of the storm today. It absolutely poured this morning. It cleared up a bit this afternoon but now the cold front is moving in. Liesl and I hunkered down today. She did get to play in the yard for a while this afternoon while I did a little house cleaning, so she was not totally trapped indoors. She trotted around her little queendom outside, and would come it to see if momma would give her a cookie just for walking in the door. Okay, it did work sometimes, on account of she is so cute.

I did stitch today, but mostly, I read. I finished Great Expectations late this afternoon and cried for about an hour afterwards. What a book. I think it will always be in my top favorites. Dickens was so descriptive in his writing, and therefore could pull so much emotion out of his reader. It had such a profound effect on me that tonight I watched the Jane Smiley webcast about the book and A Tale Of Two Cities, which I also loved. I was pleased to find out that every summer UC Santa Cruz has a Dicken's Festival and this year the book is Great Expectations. Yay! UC Santa Cruz is less than an hour's drive from Monterey, so I think I may have to go up to attend some of the lectures. I have to see what the prices are and may have to start saving my pennies now. But I think it would be a really cool thing to do.

I only have a couple more days left of vacation. It has been an amazing vacation and I am so happy for the way it turned out. I feel really refreshed and rejuvenated and ready to return to my job. I really miss the people I work with. It is suppose to storm the next couple of days, so mostly, Liesl and I will stay close to home, but that is okay with us.

No comments: