Monday, March 8, 2010

Lookie!


In a move that I can only call insanity brought on by cold and fever, I decided to stop by the local Trader Joe's on my way home from work. I am still feeling cruddy and was out of lemon and honey for my tea. Plus, I was thinking that I really did not have it in me to cook, so figured I would find something in their frozen or prepared food section. Now mind you, I love, love, love Trader Joe's ordinarily. However, heed my warning, lest you meet the same fate as me, do not attempt a visit to Trader Joe's after work. It was crazy and I found myself thinking some majorly cranky thoughts.

But I totally digressed here. Look at what I found. Trader Joe's carries windmill cookies! And they are delicious. Windmill cookies are very special to me. When I was a little girl and would go over to visit my grandmother and great grandmother, they would serve me windmill cookies. Our family is of Dutch ancestry, so these cookies hold special memories for me. I also remember little blue and white Delfft knick knacks in the kitchen.

I am on Day Four of the Cold from Heck. It is also very cold and rainy outside. In fact, the weather forecast calls for record low temperatures tonight and tomorrow. Okay, record low for California, but still...After dinner, I was not feeling up to doing much so I watched a little televison. I ended up watching Alton Brown, who is one of my kitchen heroes. I think he is majorly cool. As a side note, my daughter worked an event where he appeared at the Monterey Aquarium. She brought me one of his salt pigs and his autograph. Is that too cool or what?!

Anyway, he was making salty/sweet confections. They included caramels with sea salt. Oh, my goodness, they looked so good! Then, he made Pralined Bacon, which called for baking the bacon in the oven for about an half an hour. Then pouring a brown sugar/pecan mixture over it and baking it some more so that the bacon was enscounced in a praline. I need to do this.
Stay well!

2 comments:

Natasha said...

I too use to eat those as a child. I will have to go to my local TJs to get me some :) I also need more honey and lemon.

I do hope you are feeling better soon. I think this cold is going around I also have been under the weather.my cough was so bad that it brought tears to my eyes I called my doctor again and he gave me medicine, tessalon, that helps control the reflex muscles in my throat to keep me form coughing uncontroably so far it seems to be working I was able to tap a nap today.

I have the heat on and I am all bundled up it is prettu cold for the Bay Area this time of year

Take Care!

Patti said...

Natasha,

These cookies are the very best! Very nutty. They almost taste like bakery cookies.

I hope you feel better very soon. It sounds like we have the same cold. It is the worst one I have had in years. Stay warm, it really is cold and windy right now!

Patti