Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Too Many Hobbies, Too Little Time

I have put one of my favorite hobbies to the side, because it is the most time consuming of all of them. It the genealogical research of mother's side of the family, which immigrated here to work in the silk mills in Paterson, New Jersey during the Industrial Revolution. What is really sort of fascinating is that a few of my ancestors were embroiderers in the mills. I have to wonder if there is some sort of institutional memory that has made my daughter and I love needle arts so much. Anyway, I love to work on it and use a variety of sources to back up each other's information. I find it really interesting.

Needless, to say, I spent all evening on this. Once you find information, you can't let it go, and I find myself scouring online pages and pages of information and data. When you hit a brick wall, though, it can drive you crazy.

I am seriously considering getting rid of my cable. It seems like there is nothing on but reality shows anymore. I have a couple of things I watch, like the races, but other than that, I am turning my television off with great regularity now. Which is why I was able to work on research and in general, read books. Something has really happened to television and it is a bit disappointing. Even Modern Family seems to have lost something this season. I suppose that the tide will change when viewers complain enough. In the meantime, there are so many great books to read, hobbies to be done, and ancestors to be found...

No comments: