Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Patti's Favorite Things



I think I have shared before that I work for a large non-profit organization. We have the most wonderful, hard-working and devoted volunteers. Today one of our wonderful volunteers brought each of the employees one of these adorable little turkeys that she made. Isn't this one of the cutest, most creative things you have ever seen? It tickles my heart to look at it.

Last week, Oprah had her annual Favorite Things show. Some of the stuff was way over the top. I was thinking about the favorite items that I have around my house which are a bit more simple. Things that people have given me, that have a memory attached, and/or that are just adorable. A filet crocheted dresser scarf that my friend brought me from Norway this year, the sight of Liesl's little blue elephant that she carries around the house, a pair of socks my daughter knit for me, and my coffee mug with Van Gogh's Starry Night painting on it, to mention just a few. Here are a few more things that I love:


A clock from Target. It is both retro and red! I got it on a big back to school sale for about $6. It is from the dorm room section (they still have them!) It is regular priced $7.99. So cute.

A mother of pearl mosaic box that I bought at Marshalls for $9.99. I keep it on my nightstand to hold my pens, sticky notes and book light. It is luminescent and is just pretty. It also keeps all of the clutter out of sight.

Lastly, one of my very favorite things ever. There are times I carry it with me because it has become really important to me. In late July, I was going through a really difficult time and was just feeling really sad. I took a walk on the beach with Liesl. As I walked, I prayed. I asked God for a sign of assurance, a sign of His love just to see me through. I immediately felt badly for asking for such a thing that because I felt I had no right to do so. But I heard almost a whisper that said to follow Liesl and then look down. So I followed her until she stopped and then looked down, and this is what I saw in the sand:



A heart shaped beach rock! (I showed it to my Pastor and she smiled and said, "God hearts you!" I carry it with me sometimes because it makes me feel peaceful, and is a reminder that God is always with me, particularly in hard times. I also keep this on my nightstand so that I see it when I go to bed and when I wake up. He sends us miracles when we need them, and signs of His love are around us all of the time!

1 comment:

Vicky said...

I love all your favourite things, you have very similar taste to mine :)

I also found a heart shaped river rock when walking one day, I gave it to my mum, I wonder if she still has it?