Friday, December 24, 2010

Gloria In Excelsis Deo And Peace To All People!

Merry Christmas Everyone! Here is our Chrismon tree at church. Chrismon, meaning Christ's monogram. The ornaments are white and gold. White to symbolize the purity of Jesus Christ, and gold to symbolize his majesty. Chrismons have been a tradition in many churches, particularly Lutheran churches since 1940.

Today was really amazing. I had to run out to the grocery store this afternoon and was really disappointed to see some of the grinchiness in the form of road rage, and lack of smiles today. This is one of those days that require an extra dose of patience and sense of humor. Other than that, it was great. We had our church service tonight. It was so nice to see alot of the young people that we all have watched grow up, home for the holidays and in church. Some even have families of their own now.

After church, I was invited again this year to one of my very best friend's family Christmas Eve dinner. Dinner was a traditional Norwegian dinner of salmon, red cabbage, potatoes, and a meatball recipe that has been in their family for five generations. Only the men in the family make the Norwegian meatballs, as tradition dictates. The minute grace is said and we are seated at the table, it is made known through announcement that anyone seated at their table is their family. As you sit at this large table, I truly feel surrounded in love, and part of their wonderful family. It is a beautiful thing. I realize that my best Christmas and year round present is the really loving friendships like this family. I am so fortunate. I came home and looked that the clear sky full of stars and breathed in the clear, cold night air. I just feel so filled with Christmas spirit.

Tomorrow is a special day. My daughter and her husband are hosting Christmas dinner for the first time ever. She is very excited. Last year was her first time hosting Thanksgiving. Tomorrow is a really big deal for her. Liesl is invited, too. I am supposed to bring a potato dish so I am making a potato casserole I used to make for holidays when my kids were small. I thought about making additional things to bring, but figure it is my daughter's big day, and I want to respect her organizing the dinner. She is a great cook, so I know everything will be delicious.

I want to take the moment to wish each of you a very Merry Christmas. I wish you so much joy and beauty.

No comments: