Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Beware The Ides Of March...

Can you believe it is the middle of March tomorrow?  Oy vey!  This year is flying by.  Every March 15th I love to say, "Beware the Ides Of March."  It is from Julius Caesar by Shakespeare, which is my very favorite Shakespearean play.  Of course, MacBeth is a  close second.  But I digress...

Today I received exceptional customer service.  Last night when I got into my car, the engine would not turn over.  I ran back in to work, where luckily someone had jumper cables.  I was back on the road in under five minutes.  Luckily, I have a 35 minute drive home which gave the battery significant time to recharge.  I looked around Monterey and Seaside to see if there was any place open where I could get the battery replaced.  No luck.  Everything had closed at five, of course.  I went home and tried to figure out a game plan for how to get it fixed.  

I woke up at 3 am today, worried about how I was going to get to work if my car did not start (my boss told me that if it ever happens to call her and she will pick me up on her way to work) and how to get it to the shop.  Luckily, the car started up this morning.  When I got to work, I called Sears in Salinas to see if they had my battery in stock and if they could get me in at lunch time.  They were awesome.  Truly awesome.  They told me that it would take 30-45 minutes because I have a PT Cruiser convertible (that I love!)  The battery sits under a ledge of the hood, so they actually have to take off the front wheel to get to it.  They were not even open yet, but they made my appointment for my lunchtime.  When I got there they had the battery ready, and had staff ready to go.  They had it done in 40 minutes.  The nice gentleman who gave me my key back said that I was nearly going to be in trouble with the old battery.  Yikes.  I am thankful that I had angels watching over me.  I was so impressed with their customer service and how fast they got the work done.  Plus the price was so reasonable and worth every penny for peace of mind.  I would totally go back.  Plus they are only 10 minutes away from my office.

The bonus part of this is that I found out there is a Dairy Queen at the mall.  While I did not partake today, I can see myself getting a Blizzard during the hot winter months.   I told my BFF on the phone tonight that I would be willing to make deliveries if she feels the need for a Blizzard.  

So I am pretty grateful tonight that my car is fixed and that I had a good experience getting it taken care of.  There are some pretty nice people in the world.  I am grateful for my work mates who puppy sat for me while I took my car in.  I am really grateful that I have a bed to sleep in at night.  I work in an area that has a lot of people who are homeless, and it makes me even more grateful for having some place warm to call home.  I generally whisper a blessing for each person that I encounter and I always remember that it is only by the grace of God that I am not in the same position.  


1 comment:

Lisa said...

Patti,

We are dying to see pics of the house! It sounds awesome...

Lisa