Tuesday, September 28, 2010

It Was A Dark and Foggy Night...

Despite the fact that the temperatures have hit the triple digits today, tonight is rather cool and foggy. I am sitting quietly in my room listening to the sounds from Monterey Bay. They are the sounds of sea lions calling out. Their barking sounds somewhat playful this evening. I am also listening to the fog horns on the fishing vessels, most likely purse seiners and those capturing calamari squid. The fog horns sound somewhat lonely, singing their sad songs into the night.

I am still in awe that I get to live this close to the Pacific Ocean. That I can hear the sounds of the ocean, smell the salt air and sea weed from my little house. Liesl and I get to walk in the same places that John Steinbeck, Doc Ricketts and the characters from Steinbeck's books set their footprints. I have been a fan of Steinbeck since I was 12 years old and read In Dubious Battle. Now I get to see what he saw through eyes of this century. Sometimes, I see something that he mentioned in his books and I try to imagine what it looked, smelled and felt like back then.

Well, I am finally tired enough to go to sleep. I will let the foghorns sing me to sleep with the silly chorus of sea lions.

Have a nice evening.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

I loved this post. I grew up next to the Pacific Ocean but in New Zealand and this post made me miss the ocean.